Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Day 88 ~ The end is in sight

Although it was my intent to blog something for each day's reading, I failed after about the eighty-second day, as you can see. I took notes for days 83 & 84, but never got them online, and won't take time to do so now. After that, I didn't really even take notes...the rest of the journey (Galatians on) has kind of been completed with a snow plow, but it has been taken. I was also more familiar with the mid section of the New Testament, and I think that familiarity was kind of lulling me into a stupor at times. Tonight I will launch into the book of "levelation" as Grace calls it when she sings the New Testament book song she learned with Pastor Ben on family nights. I told her I was starting the last book of the Bible tonight, and asked her what it was. She buried her head in her hands for about 20 seconds then said "levelation! - I was singing in my head"

Well, I'll be singing in my head after tomorrow night - Hallelujah!. We've already had about 25 people report in that they've completed the challenge. 182 let us know that they were going to try when the program started back in August. I'm sure many will trickle in over the next week or so. I commend you all! I sure each journey was different. I'm sure each journey was worth it.

I will have to say I really got the most out of the old testament, and other than slacking a bit in some of the books of poetry, I felt I really tried to absorb and understand what I was reading from at least an historical perspective. The challenge was well worth it. I honestly think I'll read through some book on the rise and fall of the Roman empire - specifically how it interacts with the ministry of Jesus and the destruction of the temple in 69ad.

The New Testament, however, was just too much to try to digest and make commentary and complete my reading goal. Maybe another time.

What will I do with the hour or so that I've spent reading over the last 90 days? Hopefully look back through my blogs and see where I commented that I wanted to spend more time, or do a character study (add to that Gaius, mentioned in 4 NT books). Or topical studies (how about adding homosexuality, given what I read in Jude last night seems like it permeates the entire letter.) Or how about that Paul? Do you think he was real pleasant in person? My guess is no. But he was a powerful witness. I could go on....but I need to ready half of Revelation. And it is not the book of Revelations. that drives me nuts when people add an s. There is my last bit of commentary!

Signing off - better for accepting and completing the challenge - Beth

2 comments:

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Ok, so why aren't you still bloggin . . . or maybe you are elsewhere?

Jill Shaw here . . . and I tripped over your blog on your daily Bible reading when I was looking for something about camp. Good trip!
Check my blog at http://conversationsatintersections.blogspot.com/ but don't tell a lot of people as some of what I write might be heretical and it could cost me a lot of money. Cheryl's is at http://g-shopper.blogspot.com/

She's more focused than I am. Mine is random and not necessarily written for many of the churchies in Indiana! You judge.
Hope you get this and follow up . . . . . would love to hear from you . . . . sawhira AT gmail.com